San Jose is a feast for the senses and a great vacation destination. While there are some amazing day trips from San Jose Costa Rica to see volcanoes, botanical gardens, and historical points of interest, there are so many things to do in San Jose Costa Rica itself that you will be spoiled for choice.
San Jose is situated in the heart of Costa Rica, and it is a vibrant, dynamic city. The climate is warm; the locals are friendly, and the city has a rich culture.
Here are just a few of the many things to do in San Jose...
- Mercado Central is the Central Market. Rich in heritage and cultural history, it is home to more than two hundred stores selling souvenirs, flowers, and fresh fruits, as well as a great place to sample fresh-brewed local coffee. Try local ice-cream and authentic dishes including casado.
- Barrio Escalante is the hub for eateries in San Jose, and there are lots of restaurants and pubs serving a wide variety of beer and meals from snacks to full dinners. San Jose food culture is a gastronomic delight you need to experience for yourself.
- El Pueblo is an old-villa style mall where you can embrace San Jose’s nightlife. It is a hub for bars, pubs, clubs, dancing and music with drinks at reasonable prices. The legal drinking age in Costa Rica is eighteen years and it’s advised that you visit El Puebla in a group.
- Pre-Columbian Gold Museum is a tourist attraction with interactive displays. Quieter in the early morning, it is home to more than sixteen-hundred artefacts from the indigenous peoples, including ancient Costa Rican coins, gold jewelry and other items, pottery dating to 500 AD, and sculptured limestone, all housed in an architecturally-impressive underground building.
- National Museum gives an insight into the nation’s history with pre-Columbian artefacts, a butterfly garden, and the museum is located in the historic Bellavista Military Fort.
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional) is an opulent building dating to the 1890s. It is still used for performances, within architecture that was influenced by an eclectic mix of French and Italian artists. The mechanical floor of the ballroom can be raised or lowered for events as needed.
- Museo de Jade is a museum which houses the largest collection of jade in the world. Seven exhibits are offered over five floors, showcasing almost seven thousand pieces, ranging from translucent jade carvings depicting snakes, frogs, shamans and fertility goddesses, to Maya-influenced jade ceramics and a unique jade ceramic head with serrated teeth.
- Metropolitan Park (Parque Metropolitano La Sabana) is akin to Central Park in New York City, USA. It is a popular open space in the heart of San Jose and is not only a place to relax in the fresh air but also home to the Costa Rican Art Museum, which has free entry.
At Costa Rica Volcanoes, we offer advice as well as a range of top-quality, enjoyable day trips from San Jose Costa Rica, as well as multi-day package tours for the adventurer, the beach lover, or the tourist who wants to see a little bit of everything Costa Rica has to offer. Browse our services and tours today and contact us now to make a booking.